As an OFW, you have already made one of the toughest decisions of your life — to leave the people and country you love, to work in a foreign land.
We at the DMW get that. We know that vacation time in the Philippines is precious for you. We also know the hassle involved in getting an OEC.
President Marcos has instructed us to make your journey easier and safer. The OFW Pass will allow you to spend more time with your family rather than lining up in any of our offices. Best of all, it’s free.
As your Home in Government, we believe in you and in your dreams for your family. Whatever we can do to help, please let us know. We are here for you.
OVERSEAS EMPLOYMENT CERTIFICATE (OEC)
- You have to line up to get it.
- Validity for use is up to 60 days.
- You need to pay P100 for the OEC at the Philippine Embassy.
- It’s a paper certificate, easily prone to tear and wear.
- Proof of OFW legitimacy.
- It’s done online.
- Validity is based on duration of work contract.
- It’s free.
- Save the QR Code on your phone and you are all set.
- Proof of OFW legitimacy plus easier connectivity with other government apps.
OECs will still be honored for two months after the launch of OFW Pass, to help non-techie OFWs transition into the digital process.
Phase 2 of the OFW Pass will be on inter-connectivity with other government agencies for faster, more convenient OFW services including the DICT’s e-GOV app.
The DMW will tap Filcom volunteers in various countries to serve as OFW Pass “teachers” while also creating a 24/7 Contact Center to address all questions related to the OFW Pass. YouTube tutorial videos will also be available.
Who can avail of the OFW Pass?
- First-time OFWs to be processed by the DMW through recruitment agencies or via direct-hiring and/or government-to-government placement
- Balik-Manggagawa OFWs, referring to those going to the Philippines for a vacation or emergency leave, but will be returning to the same employer.
- Those who have transferred to a different company or employer or whose contracts need to be registered and verified by the Office of the Labor Attache will have to go through the contract verification process. After 24 hours, they can start applying for the OFW Pass online.
So does this mean there is no more OEC?
Yes, for those who are able to download and use the DMW app.
For those who still wish to obtain the traditional OEC, this is still a valid option until August 2023.
But will the OFW still be protected?
Yes. Because the government database via the DMW will still have a record of the worker’s contract which bears the name of the local recruitment agency, foreign recruitment agency and more importantly, the name of the employer.
Over-all Message Behind the OFW Pass
(“We want to make your journey as an OFW easier.”)
- No more lines.
- It’s free.
- Multiple use for the duration of your contract.
- Inter-connectivity with other key government agencies with the help of the DICT to follow.
From OEC to OFW Pass Making an OFW’s journey easier.
By Sec. Susan “Toots” Ople As of June 21, 2023)